August 16, 2009

Fever 1793 by Laurie Halse Anderson


I chose Fever 1793 as the read-aloud during our historical fiction unit. Set during an outbreak of yellow fever in Philadelphia, the novel contains many elements I had been searching for: a strong female character, adventure, injustice, and (of course) history. Written by one of my favorite YA authors, the quick-paced plot follows Matilda through a variety of challenges during the epidemic. She rises up to become a mature young woman who reaches out and helps others in a time of great need, and I appreciate the connections my students can make to her. Matilda is one hundred percent REAL - she avoids her chores, she seeks her mother’s approval, she has a crush on the local painting apprentice - and my students enjoy her for that. I am hopeful that at the end of the story they will admire her courage and compassion as well. Highly recommended for 6th, 7th, or 8th graders; a great hook into historical fiction.

No comments: