August 16, 2009

Diary of a Wimpy Kid: The Last Straw by Jeff Kinney


The third book in the Wimpy Kid series, I found this to be the funniest one yet. My students had started reading it before me because I couldn't hold them off once the new copies arrived at school - even for the few hours it would have taken me to read it! After hearing so many of my kids laugh out loud during our SILENT reading zone time (it was painful, but I managed to tolerate it without getting mad at anyone enjoying a book :) ), I was hardly surprised when I, too, actually laughed out loud while reading a few parts. The conflict in The Last Straw is between Greg and his father, with the usual other characters playing their usual roles. Highly enjoyable, and still seems a great fix for reluctant readers in older grades.

No comments: