August 16, 2009

Elijah of Buxton by Christopher Paul Curtis


I’ve been putting off posting about Elijah of Buxton, which I read last May, because the book was simply SO GOOD that I’ve been afraid I won’t be able to do it justice. The latest from award-winner Christopher Paul Curtis, Elijah (which won a 2008 Newberry honor) tells the story of the first free settlement of former slaves in Buxton, Ontario. Curtis masterfully crafts the story of 11-yr-old Elijah, who endearingly falls in and out of trouble throughout the book. Elijah’s playfulness is continually set against the serious backdrop of slavery and freedom, which plays out in the final chapters in the most moving & beautiful manner. An absolute must-read for anyone interested in young adult literature.

1 comment:

bookworm said...

I am a 6th grade reading teacher and my students and I are currently reading Elijah of Buxton. They love it so far. The humor is wonderful and equally balanced by the truths of growing up in s horrorifc time in our American history. The students love learning about dialects, character development and history. Great Book! I'll keep you update on our reading and activities.