December 29, 2010

My Weird School by Dan Gutman


A tribute post to the My Weird School (My Weird School Daze, etc) books by Dan Gutman: My students cannot get enough of these books! Most are written around guided reading level L, with a few at M or N (mid-second through early-third grade) - which makes them just about perfect for many of my students in the beginning half of the year. The books are short and simple enough for many of my lower readers to decode, but with jokes and plays on words that keep them thinking. I love having a series with so many titles in it so that the students who need to quickly work through a fairly intense amount of reading have lots of material to practice with. I can take a student, point him/her in the direction of the My Weird School bin, and they're set for a long while!
I can't seem to keep enough copies on the shelf, and even have students from the classroom next door coming to borrow the titles that I have when their library runs low. Mr. Gutman, my students and I wanted you to know how popular your books are in our fourth grade classroom. Thank you and keep up the great work!

No comments: