October 17, 2009

Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Dog Days by Jeff Kinney


The fourth book is here, and 9- to 12- year olds across the country couldn't be happier. After advertising and organizing the pre-orders at school through our Scholastic Book Fair, I found myself at Target on the 12th and grabbed one off the shelf myself to read immediately. Yes, the next day I was ordering a delivery to be rushed to my school. Yes, two days later a box of 46 copies was to arrive at my door. But I could not resist getting in on the fun of the much anticipated release date.
As for the book itself? Still entertaining. This one details Greg's summer vacation of: trying to laze around the house, lamenting family bonding time, and the beginning of the end (at least it seems) of his friendship with Rowley. Oh, and trying to be macho in front of the cute girl at the pool, of course. After reading 4 DWK books, I'm still bothered that Greg is so oblivious to the things he does that are mean or obnoxious to others. I still look for that brief glimpse of "oh I shouldn't have done that" or "why don't I do something at least a little bit nice to make up for it," but I know that's not the reality of his character. In the meantime, I'm still loving how wildly entertaining they are to kids and could not be happier as a teacher that I have students who LOVE. TO. READ. Kinney's books.

No comments: